Through my years of living i think that one of the most amazing things that I've witnessed is the relationship that is the marriage of my parents. What makes it so amazing? Well let's just say I've been there for the countless fights along with the happy giddy times where they just make each other laugh to the point of out-of-breath-ness. The fights were usually fierce. My parents are not like the 'typical' Chinese marriage. For example, my mom is the dominant one, loud mouthed, loves to engage in conflict/debate and on the other hand my dad is the somewhat passive type (but has that inner tiger if irritated) and is patient when it comes to conflicts. So when it comes down to intense fighting they both are usually at each other's necks... since my dad runs out of patience and the tiger comes out... and then my mom's just constantly on fire. I am glad to say though that these types of fights have minimized a huge amount over the years... almost to none at all... that's the kind of development and dedication i admire. You know how they say that fighting helps a marriage grow and such? Well i definitely believe that now...
The ability to constantly make each other laugh and spend time with each other without getting tired of it is also a huge thing to admire. Though as simple as it sounds, staying with one person for a long time, living with them, dealing with them, etc etc... it really isn't that simple. But when you look at the "stereotypical" love bird relationship these days I'm sure somewhere along the way they say in their minds or to each other that they can live with their significant other... forever! they make it seem simple!... but then you see it around every corner... something goes sour and forever turns into 3 months and 5 days... or maybe 4 years 5 months and 16 days... you get the point. I'm not saying that all marriages are happily ever after till the end... cause obviously with today's society we can see that that is not the case at all! And that's dealing with both relationships (bf/gf) and marriages. I'm sure there's some statistic out there that says how many married couples are genuinely happy with their current state... and how many are not at all, but they still stick through it... it's the ones who are happy and still together though that we should look at and strive for. Yeah i know how unrealistic that sounds... but ideally speaking... it's what we all want i'm sure.
I guess it's a little far into the future to think about... marriage and all... but a lot of the time the time period that it takes to get to know someone is a good indication of where the relationship is going (if it's meant to become a relationship). I'm also very wrong in the respect that not all relationships are the same, but from my perspective it's one way that i see how things go for relationships. In a way i'm being a huge idealist here, but in a broad sense, i'd say that what my parents have now is what i'd aim for in the future. Not exactly like my parent's relationship, as they are not perfect in every way, but more along the lines of just being happy with a future significant other for (ideally) the rest of our lives... wow i must sound really... hopeful (there's prolly a better word for that)... lol
Thus as a young male in today's fun filled world i can say that i foolishly seek that one significant other who, as they say it, "completes me". Of course I encounter, on countless accounts, personalities that i feel i have "chemistry" with but most of the time it's just a nice personality i'm dealing with... nothing more. (there are just too many factors to think about!) I look forward to the day however where i can say "she's the one" to myself. I know in the end God will bring me to the right one though... so i guess i really have nothing to think about deeply... the time will come! =]
Thanks for reading!
DYung
No comments:
Post a Comment